COPS & Community Workshop
The Bethlehem Police Department and the National Coalition Building Institute have been awarded a grant by the Community Oriented Policing Services U. S. Department of Justice (COPS) to provide Communication Training for Law Enforcement and the Community. The grant will provide training in community leadership and communication.
The National Coalition Building Institute is a leadership development organization that has was established in 1984.
The workshops will provide a unique opportunity to develop new relationships and seek collaborative solutions to interactions between law enforcement and the community. Together police & residents will do the following:
• Recognize triggers and other obstacles that prevent building relationships with community members.
• Appreciate the power of personal stories from community members and police to gain insight into their experiences;
• Listen for and respect the emotional content in what community members express.
• Use a practical conflict resolution process to find common ground in dealing with an issue that would otherwise lead to continuing tension
• Acquire a toolbox of ways to improve interpersonal communication by decreasing defensiveness, with particular attention to tone of voice and body language.
• help increase safety for community members and law enforcement.
When: July 28th, 2008 from 8 am to 4 pm
Where: Northampton Community College Fowler Family Southside Center
511 E. Third St. Bethlehem, PA 18015
After all 3 workshops are completed; a resource team of both police and residents will be formed and afforded a 3 day training of trainers in October to further continue the work of police and community relations. Please take advantage of the opportunity to help and develop the Bethlehem Community Policing Program.
To register contact Guillermo Lopez at email@example.com or by phone at (484)-450-6224.